Insurance & Risk Management Major Receives 2 Elite Scholarships

Congratulations are in order for Ricardo Melchor, a UHD Marilyn Davies College of Business Insurance & Risk Management junior, for earning two prestigious industry scholarships this year.

Jose Melchor_2

His dedication to his scholastic achievements has paid off – earning him the 2019 InsureTech Scholarship and the 2019 Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Annual Meeting Scholarship. Both scholarships cover the costs of traveling to and from these conferences and the costs associated with attending the conference, which are significant expenses for students.

Ricardo had elected to attend the CPCU Annual Meeting, as both conferences are at the same time.

Ricardo will be a member of a group of elite students eligible to compete in the student engagement competition. Ricardo, along with another UHD student, will work as a team to write a paper on a case study to present at the annual meeting at the end of September and compete for cash prizes up to $1,500.

“Being able to attend the 2019 CPCU Annual Meeting in New Orleans is a great opportunity for me to learn more about the industry I plan to enter once I graduate,” said Melchor. “Becoming an IRM major has been a great decision in my professional development as it has afforded me the opportunities to apply for prestigious scholarships, such as the aforementioned CPCU student engagement scholarship. This will also be a great chance to network and meet more industry professionals, and I hope to represent UHD well at this national meeting. This award would not have been possible without the support of my professors, director, and mentors that I have acquired since becoming an IRM Major. I cannot wait to learn at this meeting and share my knowledge and experience with my peers at the university.”

Chartered Property Casual Underwriter (CPCU) is a prestigious designation in the insurance industry and Ricardo has the opportunity to complete six of the eight CPCU courses as part of the UHD Insurance & Risk Management curriculum.

“We are very proud that Ricardo will be representing UHD at the CPCU Annual meeting,” said Priscilla Oehlert, director of the Insurance and Risk Management Center at UHD.  “Our partnership with various industry associations and businesses is a vital component of our students’ ultimate success in their careers, and the CPCU Society is recognized internationally as the gold standard of property-casualty education.  We also wish his great success in the Student Engagement competition.”

To learn more about the Insurance & Risk Management program at UHD Marilyn Davies College of Business click here or attend our next online information session.